Moneyers in operation in London from
about this time.
Coins of Alfred the Great struck
with the name London in the form
of a monogram.
The Pipe Roll recorded expenditure on
mint buildings in the Tower of London.
William de Turnemire was appointed
master moneyer throughout England,
confirming the subordination of other
mints around the country to London.
A Mint Board, consisting of the three
principal posts of Warden, Master and
Comptroller, was established.
The few remaining ecclesiastical mints
closed during the reign of Henry VIII and
from then on the Royal Mint was normally
the only mint in operation.
In a misguided attempt to raise money,
Henry VIII and his successor Edward VI
debased the coinage.
Visit of Queen Elizabeth I to the
Royal Mint on 10 July on the completion
of the recoinage of the debased coins.
Attempts by Eloy Mestrell to introduce
machinery to the coining process were
Portcullis money was struck for the East
India Company, one of the first export
orders undertaken by the Royal Mint.
Screw presses and horse-driven rolling
mills were installed at the Royal Mint
and the ancient method of striking
coins by hand was finally abandoned
the following year.
Appointment of Isaac Newton as Warden
of the Royal Mint. In 1699 he became
Master, remaining in post until his death
A plan drawn up by William Alingham
shows the Royal Mint occupying the
whole area between the inner and outer
walls of the Tower of London on the
three sides not bounded by the river.
An extensive recoinage of gold was
undertaken after the gold coinage had
been ravaged by the ‘infamous and
daring Practices of Coiners, Clippers,
To equip the Royal Mint with up-to-date
steam-powered machinery, a decision
was taken to construct a new
purpose-built facility on Tower Hill,
just a few hundred yards from the Tower.
Production began at the new Royal Mint
on Tower Hill. The new factory buildings
permitted a logical flow of work from
melting to rolling, from blanking
Campaign medals were struck for the
victorious troops at Waterloo, the first
time the Royal Mint had undertaken
Investigation of Royal Mint by
Parliamentary Select Committee.
The start of serious administrative reform,
as the ancient organisation of the Royal
Mint – ‘complicated, difficult, operose,
and unintelligible’ – began to be replaced
by a system that ultimately resembled
that of a fairly typical government
The first overseas branch of the Royal
Mint was opened in Sydney (1855-1926).
Additional branches were subsequently
established in Melbourne (1872-1968),
Perth (1899-1970), Ottawa (1908-1931),
Bombay (1918-1919) and Pretoria
Following the appointment of the Chancellor
of the Exchequer as ex officio Master of
the Mint, day-to-day administration devolved
onto the Deputy Master.
For the first time production rose to
100 million coins a year.
With the appointment of the Deputy
Master as ex officio Engraver of His
Majesty’s Seals, the Royal Mint assumed
responsibility for the engraving of official
seals including, most spectacularly, the
Great Seal of the Realm.
Four workmen were killed on 13 June
when the Royal Mint was struck by a
bomb during an air raid.
In a development which has shaped
much of its subsequent history, the
Royal Mint began deliberately seeking
coinage orders from overseas countries.
An independent and influential
committee, now known as the Royal Mint
Advisory Committee, was established to
examine new designs for coins, medals,
seals and decorations.
A bomb claimed the lives of three
members of staff at the Royal Mint
on 8 December.
To secure the coinage against the effects
of any long-term stoppage at Tower Hill,
an auxiliary mint was set up in one of the
Pinewood Cinema Studios near Iver
Heath in Buckinghamshire. It closed
Output for the first time exceeded
1000 million coins a year.
On 1 March the Government announced
its decision to adopt a decimal system of
currency. The task of striking hundreds of
millions of decimal coins in readiness for
decimalisation in 1971, while at the same
time not neglecting overseas customers,
made the construction of a new
In August work began on the site of
the new Royal Mint at Llantrisant in
The first coins were officially struck at
Llantrisant by by Her Majesty The Queen
on 17 December.
The last coin, a gold sovereign, was
struck at Tower Hill on 10 November 1975.
The Tower Hill buildings were finally
relinquished, shortly after the Royal Mint
Museum collection had been transferred
The Royal Mint celebrated 11 centuries
On 31 December, to provide greater
operating and commercial freedom, the
Royal Mint was vested into a